Monday 14 March 2016

John the key cutter ...



bought some red shoelaces this morning from John the key cutter - 

How's your health then? I asked - 

John looked up from some clever whirling machine - 

There was a notice on the door apologising for closures due to hospital appointments - 

I'd often spoken to John - he was part of my life in this gentle town -

John had spent his boyhood in Cyprus - those years were a golden chapter in the book of his life - 

I'd pictured the serviceman's son, swimming in the wine dark sea, growing tall in ancient sunlight - 

I stood dreaming in the small shop - I could smell the resin from dark pines - 

There were figs to eat, proud words to hear sung about heroes - 

But John was talking to me now - 

It's a long term thing he said - 


11.00
Monday 14 March 2016

Wareham 
 









No comments:

Post a Comment