Monday 28 March 2016

Becoming invisible ...



Before the Delacroix, I sat with murmuring diners in The Cafe in the Crypt

Their gentle voices filled the spaces beneath the arches - 

When he walked in a different world, my dad had first taken me here - 

We'll go up to the Smoke he'd said -  

He'd sat here, over the polished bones, The Times folded up in his raincoat pocket - 

Later, we'd looked at Seurat's Bathers at Asnieres in the National Gallery - 

Now, wearing a faded coat, I remembered those moments here - 

The worn stone beneath my feet was the same - 

There were the names I'd read - they were still there - 

But the chair next to me was empty -

The man who might sit upon it had become invisible - 

All that was left of him was a shape made of air and memory - 


Friday 18 March 2016

Cafe in The Crypt
St Martins in the Fields 
London

No comments:

Post a Comment