Thursday 20 November 2014

Window shopping for fishing rods in Trinity Lane ...




I have often considered taking up fishing - I see myself idling on the bank of a lazy meander, my line slack, scribbling memories in my moleskine - 

So far, I've only once gone fishing - we'd rented a country house near Sissinghurst - lime trees shaded bright lawns - there were mysterious attics - 

We cast our lines into a lake haunted by dragon flies - I admired their zigzagging flight over the water lilies - 

We threw back the small fish we caught  - it darted away with a flick of its tail, diving downwards into its still cool world - 

I paused, therefore, outside Purbeck Angling, window fishing for rods - I admired the fishing hats and glinting reels - 

Next summer, I thought, I would sit upon the stone fisherman's bench, with my net and line, listening to the river - 

I would steal across the water meadows, just after noon, sun burnt and wearing faded canvas shoes - 

I would weave myself a circlet of reeds - the river bank would be my empire - kingfishers would fly above my head - 


14.50
November 20 2014

The Old School House
East Stoke
The Isle of Purbeck 



No comments:

Post a Comment