Tuesday 11 November 2014

Remembering fearful jakes and reivers ...




Outside Drumburgh, we headed for the Laal Bite tuck shop, an austere shed with a jakes worthy of Castletownbearhaven - 

Sipping my powdered cappuccino, I recalled Richard's ashen face when he emerged from that reeking palace - 

We'd been staying in a shieling scented with peat smoke - above the icy sea was a treeless mountain - I'd smoked a pipe before our fire - we'd heard girls playing wild fiddles in a bar full of farmers and gunmen - 

This all came back to me as I heaved shut the door of the jakes - 

We sat with our polystyrene cups gossiping for a while, then set off, heading for Glasson and The Highland Laddie

Leaving the silent village, I glanced up at the doughty stone mass of Drumburgh Castle, imagining reivers clasping their bloodied swords, singing the praises of their captains - 

15 July 2014

Drumburgh 

Note

The tower house, or pele tower, known as Drumburgh Castle, dates from the 14th Century. Thomas Lord Dacre's coat of arms are placed over a doorway.

Nearby was the Roman fort of Coggabata.


No comments:

Post a Comment