Saturday 29 November 2014

The Whistler windows ...










I had long wanted to revisit the church at Moreton - I had gazed, spellbound, at the wonderful engraved windows, with their depictions of swirling stars, a chi-rho formed by vapour trails, two delicate hares - 

I had admired the weathervane, read Philip Tregonwell's memorial, hesitated to walk upon the glowing encaustic tiles -  

Now, late one October morning, I stood again before the Galaxy Window - 

Penny and I had been walking in Moreton Plantation - we could smell the damp earth - above us were shapely tawny leaves, outlined against the sky - shadows deepened under pine trees - we crossed the narrow bridge which spanned the river - 

When we saw the dark jewel of the church, we knew we had to go inside - 

We gazed at the magical glass - each image entered into my soul - 
 
There was Judas, in The Forgiveness Window, the rope around his neck - the silver coins falling from his hand became flowers when they touched the ground - 


12.30
21 November 2014

St Nicholas Church
Moreton




No comments:

Post a Comment