Sunday 2 November 2014

At Durlston Castle with Richard ...





It was some time since Richard had visited Swanage - we walked down Institute Road, past the gorilla - he was wearing a skull mask for Halloween - 

We spent some time in the Oxfam bookshop - I bought Alan Garner's Stradloper - I'd read his Boneland last winter, and was still haunted by it - 

Richard bought an illustrated copy of A Shropshire Lad - I read a few of the beautiful anguished verses - we both, perhaps, hungered for a land of lost content

A friend from Semi Colons greeted me - we shared experiences of colonoscopies - I realized how fond I had become of my fellow bowel cancer survivors - 

In Smiths I stared at my reflection in an antique mirror - I admired a venerable motor cycle - 

Later we lunched on a picante soup in Durlston Castle - I watched the beautiful waitress sashay from table to table - 

Richard placed bets on horses with names like Letmego and Vazaro Delafayette

I showed Richard around the Victorian castle - we went up a wrought iron spiral staircase to the belvedere - we gazed out at the cloud shadowed sea -


13.30
23 October 2014

Durlston Castle
Swanage 









No comments:

Post a Comment