Tuesday 19 August 2014

Nelleke's father ...


This afternoon, we drive to Someren, to meet Nelleke's father, Hein - he's 95 years old, bright eyed and upright - he's chatting to his good neighbour, another retired farmer, in his eighties -  

Hein strides across the room to fetch delicate tea cups - we drink coffee and eat slices of lemony cake - I try to follow the conversation - I can make out only a few words - 

On the way here, we saw a statue of Van Gogh - his father was a pastor here - the painter leans forward slightly, bearded and with yearning eyes - 

Hein's handshake was very firm - Nelleke told me he loved horses - I imagined him guiding a strong horse, under enormous skies - 

When we were leaving, Hein grasped my hand - until the next time he said - 


16.00
19 July 2014


Someren 



No comments:

Post a Comment