Wednesday 6 August 2014

Looking back from Peel Crags, looking out for Widmerpools ...


A steep path led us upwards out of Sycamore Gap -

In my notebook, my hoard of secrets, I'd managed to scrawl this is a numinous place - I'd been overwhelmed by what I what I saw and what I sensed - 

We were unable to find the carving of the swastika on the northern face of the Wall -

My dogeared guidebook, stuffed full of quirky aperçus, noted that in the film Robin Hood, the tree still managed to appear less wooden than its co-star

Snorting with laughter, recalling Kevin Costner in another film, I had a sudden longing for a glass of Golden Plover or Pennine Pale - 

Once on Peel Crags, I looked back upon the way we'd come - 

There were Highshield Crags, the dark waters of Crag Lough - there was the Wall, which we'd followed from Tyneside to moorland - below us was Sycamore Gap, with its iconic tree - 

While were walking on Highshield Crags, Julia had had to warn me not to get too close to the cliff face - otherwise I would have fallen, still dreaming, tumbling through the bright air -

We had spoken a lot together during the day, telling each other about ourselves - 

I told Julia how I would look out for Widmerpools at headteachers' conferences - 

Julia told me about her house in Oxford, and dining at High Table - 

I was anxious because I was wearing jeans - this man sitting next to me stood up - he just said Jones, Geography - 

A Widmerpool I thought - 

July 9 203

Peel Crags




No comments:

Post a Comment