Sunday 17 August 2014

Breakfast in Lieshout ...


We went to our beds just before midnight 
- there were red tiles under my bare feet - my head was reeling with tiredness and stories - we'd got up at three in the morning - my sleep was deep and dreamless - 

This morning, we sat down to a breakfast fit for a pasha in exile - I reached out eagerly for mellow cheese, artisan bread and Parma ham - I drank cups of potent coffee made by Peter - 

Berthe and Anton were leaving today - we hoped we would meet them again - 

Nellecke told me about the books she'd read - Peter showed me two albums of family history he'd compiled -

I stared fascinated, at the photographs of women in dark dresses, postcards from Lourdes, letters to the bishop -

Later, I would stand in a Catholic church with a roof reaching heaven -  


9.30
July 17 2014

Lieshout
Brabant



No comments:

Post a Comment