Friday 11 April 2014

Waterloo Train, escaping a ghost ...




I've just boarded the 9.34 for Waterloo - the South Western Train is moving swiftly through poignant towns, past trees coming into leaf, green fields bordered by thorn hedgerows, primroses growing on the bank of a cutting - 

Last night I had a frightful nightmare - I dreamed I was in the bedroom I was sleeping in, curled up in the same double bed, waking up in my dream to a thumping noise, the bed being shaken, its sheets rippling, a sense of an icy presence - 

Then I awoke for real in the same bedroom, but I still felt terrified, hearing vague noises, and sensing subtle movement - 

I lay there stricken for hours - even with the light on, I still felt uneasy - 

I kept on remembering my mum saying - there's a ghost in this house

Now, in the daylight, sitting in this reassuring train, I'm more aware than ever how there are two worlds, the day world, where I order a latte from the buffet trolley, and the night world, when, for all my rationality, I am helpless in the dark -

10.01
Waterloo Train, arriving at Haslemere
11 April 2014 

No comments:

Post a Comment