Wednesday 2 April 2014

Remembering "Picnic at Hanging Rock" in Fort Cochin ...





Late one afternoon, in Fort Cochin, I put down The World of Yesterdayto gaze out across the beach, towards the tropic sea - 

We had checked into the Old Lighthouse that morning - we would stay there for a few days before meeting up with Jane and Ken at Doctor Bagi's -  

We'd sipped our welcome drink in the reception area of the hotel - the lobby was cool and spacious, open to soothing breezes - I'd admired the statue of a serene Goddess, garlanded with flowers -

Now, after swimming in the pool, I was sitting on the terrace, lamenting Stefan Zweig's suicide -

It was then, closing those sad pages, that I saw the group of school girls, perhaps on some outing after class

I watched them, making their way over the white sands - they walked along the sea's edge, in a careful crocodile - 

I remembered how I'd once watched Peter Weir's Picnic at Hanging Rock - I'd been profoundly disturbed by the beautiful mystery of the film - 

What strange events were starting to happen here, I wondered - would some of these girls slip away, vanishing into the shining air?








  



No comments:

Post a Comment