Sunday 20 April 2014

The farewell dinner in Guruvayur ...







I gazed at the stuffed paratha on my plate with shining eyes, shamelessly wolfing it down - to my joy, further dishes were being placed upon the table - I avoided Doctor Bagi's eyes - 

I'd been fasting for two weeks - my wrists were thin and brown - one night, I had a dream in which I'd been transformed into an eel - 

It was Friday evening - the next day we would return to Fort Cochin - 

I sat opposite Doctor Bagi 's two daughters - they were charming and kind - I thought of them, slim and watchful, in their Grandfather's house - 

Doctor Bagi's wife sat further down the table - Anne had earlier spoken with her - I watched them talk, exchanging murmured confidences - 

Jane was laughing and witty - Ken, as ever, courtly and wise - 

Mohammed sat at the other end of the table - he'd just returned from the Gulf - his wife was dressed in black - Mohammed often looked at his I phone - 

At the end of the dinner, I tapped a glass for silence - I spoke from my heart, thanking Doctor Bagi for all he'd done for us - the words that came into my head were like tender birds - I wanted them to do justice to this clever sensitive man -  





No comments:

Post a Comment