Wednesday 23 April 2014

Remembering Casablanca, saying good bye to Doctor Bagi ...



Listening to John Coltrane in the red wounded beast, driving to a sad Texaco, I found myself thinking about the art of saying good bye - 

Rick, in Casablanca, knew the right words to say - Ilsa had boarded the silver aircraft - Louis Renault had smiled his foxy smile - 

But I wasn't Rick - I never knew what to say - I would clasp a hand awkwardly - I would feel shy kissing a proffered cheek -  

Many of my farewells were melancholy affairs - someone I loved would board a train - I would be left behind, alone on the platform, remembering wild moments - 

When the time came to leave Doctor Bagi's, I wish I'd spoken all of the words that later came to me -

I should have said - this was such a rare experience for me - I feel, at last, at ease with my body - I feel as light as air - 

But all I said was - thank you - good bye -

Perhaps, though, they knew how I really felt - I hope so - 



No comments:

Post a Comment