Thursday 3 April 2014

By the side of the pool in The Old Lighthouse Hotel, Fort Cochin ...












We met up with Sophie and Paul in Fort Cochin, the day before our flight to a pale orderly world - 

There'd been a problem with our booking for The Old Lighthouse - we'd hoped to stay there again, to feast on subtle curries after our twelve days fasting at Doctor Baggi's - 

I'd lost seven kilos as a result of my treatments - whilst being massaged by Vinish and Murugan, I'd dreamed of cappuccinos - 

We stayed instead at the Poovath Heritage Hotel, once the palace of a Dutch pro consul, now a refuge for heart sore travellers - from its balconies you could see the worn tombs of the cemetery, yet also the open sea - 

Jane and Ken's booking in the Old Lighthouse went ahead - they'd booked in advance - we idled in the pool there that afternoon -  

Anne, Jane and Sophie tried their luck at synchronised swimming - Paul was beardless - I guess a barber's wicked razor had got to work - he swam smoothly from end of the pool to the other - I lay on my back, floating upon the cool water, looking up at the marvellous sky - Ken had donned his splendid Batik shirt - 

Later, an American girl had insisted upon taking our picture - I thought of the poignant lyrics of Ray Davies' song, People take pictures of each other -

Surely this moment, if I wished it, could remain there forever - 






No comments:

Post a Comment