Sunday 5 January 2014

The sofa in the Regent's Canal ...



On the second day of the New Year, we walked to Limehouse, along the Regent's Canal, from Roman Road to the Thames - we were staying with Sophie and Paul - Kenzo had flown in from Tokyo the day before - 

When we left the canalside apartment block, we paused for a moment on the pavement, just before the bridge - I could just glimpse the leafless trees of Victoria Park - 

A young creative jumped onto his racing bike - the bike was like a sleek insect - a Bangladeshi grandad waited for the lights  to change - a bus went by with its pale cargo - 

As we made our way along the tow path, I stared shamelessly into the tiny windows of the narrow boats - I imagined myself living on board one of these louche craft, living a careless, disordered, life -

I'd listen to my friends telling stories of videoke bars in Cagayan de Oro, or of fell walking in Cumbria - I'd throw empty beer bottles into the water - a girl with a bronze bracelet around her wrist might play a guitar - 

Then we saw a sofa, floating almost submerged in the dark canal - there it was, drifting very slowly towards a lock - I wondered who'd thrown it in, and why - 

Perhaps it was the man we'd seen urinating and cursing at the same time into his fiery mobile - I need my money - now - I'm 59 years old - I'm not a fucking immigrant - he'd loped away, towards The Palm -

Or perhaps, like in Susan Hill's terrifying novella, we were inside a painting, but one painted by a surrealist, not a black magician - 

Vivid fruits would fall from strange trees - orchids would flower on the tower cranes - we would soon see a lounge lizard, lolling on the sofa, drinking green cocktails, bright fish darting around his pointy shoes - 

No comments:

Post a Comment