Tuesday 21 January 2014

Leaving East Stoke ...




Early this morning, Anne had an e-mail from Marc about the Kerala Express - if you go to the station, you must take your courage in your hands

I stood under the leafless apple tree - I could still see the moon, low in the brave blue of the sky - swans were motionless on the flooded water meadows - 

I stared at the pine trees, bordering the churchyard - bright sunshine had replaced the rain - 

The boot of the red Peugeot was filled with our cases - we set off at ten o'clock for my parents' house - on the motorway, we learned that Sophie had got her visa at last - 

As I overtook a sluggish Vauxhall Vectra, I thought fondly of our valley, of our gentle town - but a desire to breathe spice scented air, to see exotic landscapes, also filled my soul - 

No comments:

Post a Comment