Saturday 11 January 2014

The Railway Man at The Rex




Yesterday, we saw the Railway Man at The Rex - it was the premiere of the film nationally - I'd read a review earlier that day, whilst my dad sighed over The World of Yesterday

West Street, outside the quirky cinema, was full of discrete new cars, beaded with rain drops - a gentle queue filled the foyer - Anne said - all of the great and good of Wareham are here -

Colin Firth played Eric Lomax, Nicole Kidman, Eric's second wife, Patti - 

Almost all of Anne's book group were sitting in our row - Anne hotly refuted my observation that Colin Firth looked jowly - 

I enjoyed the film, but I felt that it made me into a voyeur, watching a visceral spectacle - each moment was suffused with anguish, then tenderness -

I winced when I saw the savage beatings, shuddered when I saw the young Eric writhing and howling - I felt full of pity for the half naked emaciated men, tormented by the Japanese guards -


Later, after the film, there was a Q & A with Andy Paterson - his mother in law had lived in Coombe Keynes - he was wearing a silky suit, and he radiated charisma - he spoke very well, but I still felt that my emotions had been shamefully played with - 

In the Ladies loo, a woman asked Anne - didn't they treat them horribly? - Anne answered - yes, but the American dropped two atom bombs on their cities





No comments:

Post a Comment