Thursday 9 January 2014

Seeking a nest in Forest Gate ...



We'd just seen the flat in Forest Gate - Natalie from Foxons had shown us round - I'd heard cautionary stories about Foxons from Jay, over brimmers of Rioja, but Natalie seemed straight forward and pleasant enough - she spoke courteously to the Polish tenants - she'd answered Anne's searching questions as best as she was able - she'd arrived early in her sleek European car - 

Forest Gate, said Paul, was coming up - Cross Rail was on its way - artisan bread was for sale in the shops near the tube station - Anne had read somewhere that Forest Gate would be the new Hoxton - 

We called in for tonics at The Forest Tavern - I felt immediately at home inside this calm space, with its distressed walls and dream pop on the juke box - I glanced at the menu - perhaps one day I would try the Game Terrine - 

We sat, with our tonics, our minds fizzing with plans - I thought of the post cards from Lublin I'd seen in the flat, the words of the Polish wife - so, you seek to make a nest for your daughter -








No comments:

Post a Comment