Tuesday 14 January 2014

At the Forest Gate Cafe ...













A chandalier, fashioned from a bicycle wheel, was suspended from the ceiling of the Forest Gate Cafe - charming toddlers gazed at creatives sipping cappuccinos - slender mothers ordered sparkling mineral water - youths nurtured their beards - 

We sat for an hour or so in a booklined space, towards the rear of the cafe - there were sofas and shelves of Penguins - I discovered some Faber paperback editions of the Alexandrian Quartet - I remembered my literary seduction by Lawrence Durrell - it was like being dazed by too many Horses' Necks - I was disconcerted by a picture of a cyclist - 

Sophie found a Ladybird Ugly Duckling - she and Paul were very fond of ducks - I hoped that this might prove to be a good omen - 

We talked about the flat and structural surveys - Sophie and Paul were excellent company - I felt, all around me, the presence of the vast city -

Next door was a mini cab office - tired black dudes watched the clock - 

A gentle Bangladeshi drove us back to Bethnal Green - he was very happy with his Toyota Prius - he'd bought it second hand from a man in Tiptree - he had another job in the post room of The Sun - we chatted as we zig zagged through tricksy traffic - 

Every day - it gets more difficult - Tescos, Morrisons - the prices go up - 






No comments:

Post a Comment