Sunday 19 January 2014

Placing books in my suitcase ...





I packed my suitcase last night - Ken says they'll be lots of time to talk or read once we're at Doctor Baggi's - wrapped up in my shirts are two books - one is Stefan Zweig's The World of Yesterday - I've read almost half of it - when I'm turning the pages, I can hear his wise sorrowful voice - 

The other book is John Cowper Powys' Autobiography - I read The Brazen Head last year, whilst staying with Anne's sister, Jane - I would sit in her beautiful garden, hearing the calls to prayer - Jane once asked me what the book was about - I found it impossible to describe - all I knew was that I had encountered wonders - 

Our flight to Kochi takes off from Heathrow - I can feel already, the electric thrill of airports, zinging in my veins - 


1 comment: