Wednesday 4 March 2015

The sand dunes ...






I lay on my back amongst the sand dunes, looking up at the sky - I held a shell cast up by the sea - one side of the shell was as smooth as glass, the other, rough under my finger tips, greyish blue in colour - 

I saw shapes move within the clouds - the wind stirred the fine sand - 

I'd followed a winding path over the dunes, through dark heather and marram grass - the beach was deserted, a curving airstrip of pale yellow sand - 

Near the shore, a stand of slender leafless trees cast a fine web of shadow - 

I sat up - I could hear faint voices -  

I remembered reading The Woman in the Dunes - I imagined lying in a dark hole in the dunes, sand trickling over my body, a feverish hand stroking my face - 


12.00
March 4 2015

Knoll Beach
Studland 
Isle of Purbeck





No comments:

Post a Comment