Sunday 8 March 2015

Mowing ...




Late this afternoon, I mowed the lawn - 

I heaved the mower out of its lair - the shed was a secret world - two bikes had become rusting cobwebbed creatures - once I'd found three mummified fledglings, like delicate offerings, in a mossy flower pot - spiders built sinister webs under shelves of paint tins -

As I mowed the lawn, I smelt the sweet grass - I paused for a while by the holly tree, each glossy wicked leaf reflecting the March sunlight - 

I mowed long grass under the apple tree - moles dug their winding corridors beneath its roots - 

I piled up the grass cuttings like a fragrant gift - 

The sun was low in the sky by the time I'd finished mowing - beautiful light and shadows danced over the cut grass - 


18.00
February 8 2015

The lawn
The Old School House
East Stoke
Isle of Purbeck



No comments:

Post a Comment