Saturday 7 March 2015

Gentle wonders in Winterbourne Came ...






Seeking Winterbourne Farrington, I found gentle wonders in St Peter's church - 

I'd crossed a stone bridge over still water - a small lake reflected leafless trees - 

Earlier I'd driven past the long sinister reef of Maiden Castle - I remembered walking upon the sharp ramparts overlooking the narrow valley -

thought of John Cowper Powys and of his brother Lleweyn, wearing his green coat - 

I walked into the silent park - horses grazed in bright fields - wild garlic scented the air - there was a walled garden - 

A winding path led me to the church - slender angels stood in the windows - their wings cast glowing spangles of light upon the altar steps - 

Two gentle figures lay upon a tomb chest, their hands clasped in prayer - a winged young woman, arms outstretched, danced amidst ornate foliage - 

I read the long memorial of the colonel who had witnessed the retreat of the French from Moscow -  

Four people came into the church, all older than me, carrying walking sticks - one of them told me - a vicar here knew Thomas Hardy

Snowdrops grew in the churchyard - mossy tombs listed into the grass - 

A noble house overlooked the church - I glimpsed its austere shape through dark trees -  


12.00
February 7 2015

St Peter's Church
Came Park
Winterbourne Came






No comments:

Post a Comment