Friday 7 February 2014

Watching elephants


Yesterday, we saw elephants - the sun was low in the sky - we drove in a sleek Toyota through small villages, past limitless coconut groves -

The camera permit cost 25 rupees - I did not take as many photographs as I had thought I would - 

The elephants were chained by rear and hind leg - they were unable to move freely - I gazed at the noble captives - 

Some of the elephants were in musth - others shook their vast heads from side to side, as though overcome with despair - 

Anne reminded me of how elephants were intelligent sociable creatures, questing for miles across savannah or jungle - 

A ranger told me there were fifty elephants in the park - 

In The Times of India, I saw a headline which read Clueless rescue operation resulted in tusker's death -

My eyes brimmed with tears - 

No comments:

Post a Comment