Monday 24 February 2014

The antiques shop in Fort Cochin and the turbaned prince ...




I have always had a passion for antiques, for distressed furniture with a dark history, for worn silk carpets - I lost all track of time, therefore, when I visited an antiques shop in Fort Cochin - perhaps Azad had intuited my secret desires - 

I gazed upon splendid rocking horses, an ornate litter and bright carvings - a willowy boy kept a very discrete eye upon me - 

A tall Englishman with pink cheeks drawled to his Indian companion - The mistake you make, is assuming everyone is as honest as you -

A pale American woman asked the price of a painted screen which depicted positions from the Kama Sutra - 

I imagined, for a while, being the turbaned prince, cavorting with my courtesan - 




No comments:

Post a Comment