Monday 12 October 2015

Larkinland on the beach ...





I'm at Knoll Beach - I'm walking barefoot on cold ribbed sand - dark scalps of seaweed have been cast up by the waves - 

Away from the sea's edge, the sand is fine and wind blown - behind me are dunes and mazy paths through knee high heather -  

I find a small shell, and marvel at its shape and feel - it's like finding a perfect word or image for a poem - 

I think about Philip Larkin - 

I watched Larkinland on BBC 4 last night - 

A N Wilson spoke about the poet - 

There he was, Philip Larkin, looking at the world with his intense wounded gaze - 

I remember how my dad used to recite Days

Back then he read The Listener and The New Statesman

Now it's breeze blocks by James Patterson that lie upon the nest of tables - 

I'll listen to some Bechet, I think, when I get home - 

I'll think of the poet dancing awkwardly to Basin Street Blues or I Can't Get Started - 

I'll not think of him waking up, very early in the morning, unmanned and wretched, watching the wardrobe swim out of the dark - 


14.45
Monday 12 October 2015

Knoll Beach
Studland 
Dorset 




No comments:

Post a Comment