Wednesday 7 October 2015

I'll not wear socks until December ...




South Beach was empty - Joe's Cafe was still open, but there was no sign of Ocean or his mother - 

I remembered the Summer Solstice breakfast, the joyous swimmers towelling themselves dry - 

Next year, I thought, I'll join them - I'll wade out into the glowing sea - 

We walked towards the pill box, tilted over in the sand - 

Anne picked up a flint, holding it in her palm - 

This might have been a hand axe she said - 

There were names carved into the soft stone of Redend Point - 

We picked our way over rock pools, the rising tide covering pelts of seaweed - 

Trees overhung the shore - their leaves were still green - 

I felt the wind against my face - 

We spoke about my mum - 

She said we'll soon be seventy Anne said - 

I felt the years upon my back like a cloak of yellow feathers - 

I'll not wear socks until December I said -


14.00
Wednesday 7 October 2015

South Beach
Studland 
Purbeck
Dorset   



No comments:

Post a Comment