Thursday 4 February 2016

Butternut Squash soup in Earthlights ...



The slim waitress brought me butternut squash soup - 

She moved swiftly between the tables, like a dancer in a strange ballet - 

Of course she'd said - of course you can have the soup - 

At a nearby table, the wild eyed German was leaning forward, his chin resting upon the palm of his right hand -

He was wearing a torn Arran jumper - 

He turned to the man sat next to him - I eavesdropped shamelessly - 

James Joyce he said - he said I wrote Ulysses during the war - what did you do?  

At another table, a babushka sipped a large glass of red wine - 

The windows of Earthlights were steaming up - 

The dissolute proprietor crafted a cappuccino - 

The German was now talking about religion in schools - 

How can people who believe some fairy story tell this to my child ? he asked - they need to be older to understand the symbolism - 

I put down my spoon, warmed by the splendid soup - 

In Institute Road, the gorilla wore a new crown - 


13.00
Thursday 4 February 2016

Earthlights 
Swanage 
Purbeck


No comments:

Post a Comment