Thursday 5 November 2015

Waiting in The Chipperies ...




For once, The Chipperies was empty - there were no brawny girls asking for a battered sausage - no leathery gaffers were sprinkling vinegar upon their scampi - 

I was the only patron - 

I waited for my small cod small chips and two pickled onions -

The boy serving me spoke to the chef - one small cod please

I stared out of the window of the Chipperies

The boy was wearing a Chipperies base ball cap - 

Darkness had come to the gentle town - 

Soon the members of the Camera Club would be gathering at the bar of The Black Bear

Jim Etherington would be playing sturdy rock and roll in The Kings Arms - 

Two swans and three cygnets floated upon still water - 

The moon was hidden by night clouds -  

I glanced at my watch, watching the hands go round -

In my head, I heard Julia Easterlin singing In the Pines

Vieux Farka Toure's guitar was like a small flame in a dark room - 

18.15
Wednesday 4 October 2015

The Chipperies
South Street
Wareham 
Purbeck 





No comments:

Post a Comment