Tuesday 3 November 2015

All the hair ever cut from my head ...



I spent an hour or so in my gentleman's club this afternoon -  

Hello my dear boy Paul said, looking up from his Wareham Advertiser

I sat in the chair - 

Paul cut my hair with his usual louche mastery - 

I wondered how many times I'd looked at my face in a barber's mirror - 

There I was, sitting on a wooden plank balanced upon the arms of the chair - 

Creepy Mr Lambourne was cutting my blonde hair - 

There I was in Lewes, a garrulous Amazon cutting my brown hair, then trimming my reddish beard - 

Now Paul was cutting my white hair - 

Paul was telling me about his recent holiday in Tenerife - 

Liz said to me he was saying - those three terrible words said by a wife to any married man - I was thinking - 

But I was imagining all the hair ever cut from my head, heaped up in a scented pile, blonde, brown and silver - 


2.45
Tuesday 3 November 2015

Paul's 
Wareham 
Purbeck 
Dorset 

No comments:

Post a Comment