Saturday 2 May 2015

The armchair, memories of coral seas ...



This morning the newspapers were late - 

My dad looked out the front door for the paperboy - 

He'd been up since six thirty - 

It comes from the Navy he said - 

Last night he'd told me about sleeping in his hammock on board The Duke of York

Chaps put up their hammocks anywhere they could - some slept on the mess room cushions, under the tables

I imagined my dad glimpsing the bright  Carribean through a porthole - 

The grey ship was anchored off a beach of white sand - jewelled fish swam through coral - 

Sometimes my dad would sing the calypsos he'd heard on the fragrant island - 

When the Saturday Times arrived, he arranged all of its sections upon the other armchair - 

The day started to revolve within its inexorable grooves -


10.00
Saturday 2 May 2015

Staunton Road
Havant
Hampshire

No comments:

Post a Comment