Thursday 8 May 2014

Horton Tower, recalling Gormenghast, a folly from which to watch hounds ...





When I first glimpsed Horton Tower, it evoked all my youthful imaginings of Gormenghast - 

I'd read Mervyn Peake's gorgeous feverish trilogy in my early twenties - I'd seen myself, inevitably, as Steerpike - I'd also admired the noble Muzzlehatch -

In my dreams, I ventured across savage roofscapes - I dined with Doctor Prunesquallor - I found wonders in ancient labyrinths - I saw Fuschia, with her yellow scarf and her sullen mouth - 

Mervyn Peake seemed to have been as haunted and tragic as his characters - I think that Anne once met Maeve Gilmore - 

Penny and I walked up a sodden field, full of sheep and their doomed lambs, towards the tower - it started to rain -

We climbed over a wire fence to look in vain for a door to enter - the tower rose up into the sky, high above us, massive and strange - I craned my neck to look up at its dark windows - vegetation covered turret roofs and cornices -

We stood for some time, held by the mystery of the tower - 

We learned later that it was a folly, built for Humphrey Sturt, to serve as an observatory, and as a place from which to watch his hounds - 


Note

Humphrey Sturt, 1725 - 1786, Lord of Horton Manor, MP for the County of Dorset, 1754 - 1784





No comments:

Post a Comment