Tuesday 13 May 2014

A sudden hailstorm and three witches ...




Yesterday afternoon, there was a hailstorm - we were sitting in the conservatory - icy pearls fell from black clouds - 

I was taken aback by the suddenness and violence of the storm - it appeared from nowhere - 

A frigid wind blew up - the hailstones were sent whirling through the darkening air - apple blossoms were torn from tender branches - 

I watched the pine trees sway in the wind - hailstones bounced off the lichened box tomb, glistened amongst the grass - 

When the storm ended, as suddenly as it had begun, I went outside into the garden - I picked up a sphere of ice, and let it melt upon my tongue - 

Later, I saw that some hailstones had fallen down the chimney - I saw where they'd melted on the hearth - 

I pictured three witches, riding their sieve off Winspit, calling up the wind - they were garlanded with foam - they were singing wild songs -



No comments:

Post a Comment