Friday 26 May 2017

The class of 43 ...



I went to the Northern Sec
my dad said - 

Later they called it the Northern Grammar - 

I passed an exam to go there -

Then the War came - 

They evacuated the Northern Sec - 

My mum refused to move - she said we may as well all get killed together - 

I moved to the Southern Sec - 

That was south of the bridge -  

That got bombed - 

I then went to the Dockyard school - the class of 43 - 

Bill got a place at Walkers College - 

But he couldn't go - for a time he worked in the foundry - in the Dockyard - 

My dad showed me his tie - 

There were eighteen of us he said - the class of 43 - 

There are three left now, I thought - 

My dad, Bud and one other whose name he'd forgotten - 


16.35
Saturday 26 May 2017

Staunton Road 
Havant 
Hampshire  

No comments:

Post a Comment