Monday 15 May 2017

Smelling smoke in The Crooked Book ...




After Sharon put down her shining instruments, I went for a silky cappuccino in The Crooked Book

Widowers' jackets mourned the shoulders from which once they'd hung - 

A piano invited a player - 

Old suitcases remembered border crossings - 

Reefs of books diverted me - 

I found a foxed Panther William S Burroughs - 

Annick had read me pages from The Ticket That Exploded

I remembered her bedsit in Winchester, the way she pronounced my surname - 

For a moment I smelled her smoke - 

I turned to see the girl with high cheek bones writing something in a ledger - 

I put down my cup - 

Soft rain fell upon the pale figures in the street - 


10.54
Monday 15 May 2017

The Crooked Book
Bournemouth 





No comments:

Post a Comment