Monday 20 March 2017

Remembering Volkan's words ...



I've always been nervy around dogs - 

It goes back to when I was a paperboy - 

There was a house, halfway down Bramber Road, where there was a dog which lay in wait for The Daily Mail

Each morning the dog would leap up behind the door, snatching the paper from the letter box - 

I'd see it through the panel of frosted glass, a blur of yellowy brown vicious fur - 

I'd hear it snarling, ripping an editorial to shreds - 

I dreaded the thought of it getting out

I imagined it hiding behind the privet hedge, leaping out to sink its teeth in my ankle - 

It's owner would say normally it wouldn't hurt a fly - 

But today Ruby, Gordon's dog, was a delight to look after - 

I sat with her in the porch of the church, stroking her silky fur - 

We listened to late afternoon birdsong - 

I remembered Volkan's words - dogs are like people I think - some are bad - some are good - 


16.57
Monday 20 March 2017

Church of Saint Mary the Virgin
East Stoke 
Dorset 



No comments:

Post a Comment