Tuesday 21 March 2017

I felt the shape of old names ...







The last time I visited the chapel it was mid winter - 

Seagulls flew above the stony fields - 

A bitter wind stung my face - 

Clouds cast their shadows upon the pale sea - 

The interior of the chapel was dark and cold - 

Today, Penelope and I heard skylarks - 

The warm air welcomed song - 

A fishing boat sailed round the headland - 

Above the white coastguard cottages the sky promised summer - 

Inside the chapel, bright yellow flowers had been placed in a vase - 

We gazed at the initials and dates carved into the patient stone - 

The sunlight poured through the narrow window - 

I felt the shape of old names - 

I was bathed in memory - 


11.30
Monday 13 March 2017

St Adhelm's Chapel
Adhelm's Head
Dorset














No comments:

Post a Comment