Wednesday 19 March 2014

Reading The New Indian Express in Murari ...




Ever since I was a paper boy, tottering under the weight of my Sunday bag, crammed full with worthy broadsheets and sleazy rags, I have had a passion for newspapers -

Before I put Strawberry Fields Forever on the radiogram, I studied the pages of The Portsmouth Evening News, gazed fearfully at spooky classified announcements in The Times - 

Later, in Portsmouth Record Office, I would turn the crackling pages of The Hampshire Chronicle, reading a report of a rick burning or bloody naval victory off Ushsant - 

In Kerala, it was just the same - in Murari, sitting before the white serviced villa, I would pick up a pristine copy of The New Indian Express - there we so many stories to sigh over, to read whilst drinking coffee flavoured with cardamon -

In Fort Cochin, Thakkad Junction, Varkala and Manapilly there were other newspapers to delight me - The Times of India, The Decaan Chronicle, The Hindu -

This teeming vivid world of India came to life for me, with these reports of political murders, striking auto rickshaw drivers, revamps in police echelons, tanker lorries turning turtle -

Like a weary world leader, I would then swim lazily in the forgiving sea -







No comments:

Post a Comment