Sunday 2 March 2014

Arriving at Kochi Airport ...





 The Emirates jet was full of Keralans, returning from the Gulf - swollen hand luggage filled the cabin lockers - bright shirts were stretched by dark fleshy torsos - rippling Malayam beguiled my ears - seats were reclined, headphones donned, absurd movies glowed on tiny screens - 

The beautiful air hostesses sashayed down the aisles, gazing at the tired air travellers - their calm lustrous eyes were those of airborne sirens -

The monstrous jewelled towers of Dubai were soon an evil memory - we flew across the Arabian Sea, a white dart, full of dreaming people - far below us were questing ships - I looked in vain for stars - 

We landed at four in the morning - the airport was a place of exhilarating chaos - empires became dust before my grip emerged on the baggage carousel - apparatchiks studied my documents with narrowed eyes - my visa photograph appeared to show an icy assassin - 

Outside the arrivals hall, police held back dusty crowds - hooting Toyotas dodged laggardly pedestrians - I was dizzy with excitement - 




No comments:

Post a Comment