Monday 17 March 2014

Fistfuls of rupees ...



We acquired our first fistful of rupees at Kochi Airport, early in the morning, soon after our arrival - I was fascinated by the exotic bank notes - I smelt them, examined their delicate depiction of Gandhi, folded them between my fingers into a fat bundle - 

We found ATMs all over Kerala - some were air conditioned capsules, pristine shrines for a benign digital deity - clever screens glowed, new notes spilled out into your hand - others were stifling cubicles, ankle deep in discarded receipts -

In Thakkad Junction, I bought some sparkling mineral water - after a while, I was given my change, peeled off a truncheon of rupees - 

The worn five or ten rupee notes were oily to the touch, almost transparent, strange tokens quivering between my fingers - 

I looked into the cloudy eyes of the man who'd handed me my bottles of water, digging them out from the bottom of the fridge - 

He'd waited for us to walk past, the English, staying with Dr Bagi - 

You want them cold?






No comments:

Post a Comment