Thursday 12 May 2016

Reading The Big Sleep ...





I was reading the first page of The Big Sleep -

I'd called in Earthlights for lunch -

The German playwright stared at me as I came in through the door - 

He was wearing a crazy shirt - 

I heard him being passionate about Brexit - I am just a German he said - 

I'd walked through the small seaside town - 

I'd seen pensioners, hand in hand, making their way to Funland

The gorilla in Institute Road wore his poncho - 

Ice cream cones were being sold on the esplanade - 

Toy trains welcomed kiddies - 

Low cloud covered Nine Barrows Down - 

The sultry air was like that in General Sternwood's hothouse - 

Later, I thought, there would be a violent thunderstorm - 

I read the opening lines of the novel - 

I regretted not wearing a powder blue suit

I wondered if I'd ever call in on four million dollars - 


13.15
Thursday 12 May 2016

Earthlights 
Swanage 










No comments:

Post a Comment