Thursday 19 May 2016

I saw in their faces beautiful traces of their younger selves ...




We lunched today at Osman Aydin's place - 

Swags of red mulberries were stirred by the wind from the bay - 

Lorries from Datca headed down the melting road for Antalya - 

Anne and I ordered lentil soup and a dish of white beans - 

I watched a dark skinned boy scoop a pide base out of the scorching oven - 

Fountains scattered pearls of water - 

A family from Kizilyaka were shaded from the sun by tangled greenery - 

I thought of Ayup, rasping on his sick bed  - 

We'd visited him last night - 

I'd kissed Bedyr's wrinkled cheeks - 

Neighbours sat with her in the small bare room - 

I found a photograph of her and Ayup - 

She was a slim girl, he a lithe bravo with a pencil moustache - 

I saw in their faces the beautiful traces of their younger selves - 


21.00
Wednesday 18 July 2016

Karabortlen
Turkey 




No comments:

Post a Comment