Saturday 30 January 2016

The two keys ...



This morning, I got a key cut at John's Keycutting and Locksmiths 

John's small shop was empty - the gentle town was still quiet and sleepy - 

John told me he'd started business five minutes early -

I gazed at the keycutting machinery - 

John selected a key blank from a brazen cluster, shaping it deftly with his pale cunning fingers - 

I breathed in air scented with oil and metal - 

Within moments it was done, the brass shaped to the secret of the lock - 

I thought of all the doors those key blanks might open, the interiors opened to truthful light, the covers thrown back from a feverish couch - 

I took the two keys John gave me - 

I stood outside the shop -  

Shoppers walked past me towards Sainsburys - 

The man in the Breton cap looked up at the forgiving sky - 


10.00
Saturday 30 January 2016

Wareham 
Dorset 

No comments:

Post a Comment