Thursday 14 January 2016

I was dizzy with love ...











Today I listened again to Blackstar

Songs have been the waymarks of my life - 

When I bought Penny Lane I was still at school - I listened to the single on my mum and dad's Phillips radiogram

I was full of longing for girls and wonder - 

I listened to The Dark Side of the Moon whilst swimming in Alexandra's pool - 

Beautiful bodies shone in the water - 

I heard Mick Jagger croon Miss You whilst driving my first car - 

The interior of the blue Sunbeam Rapier was filled with cigarette smoke - 

I danced with Annick to The Stranglers - she wore a red skirt - her brown legs were bare - 

I saw joints heaped upon the cover of Peaches en Regalia

I saw jewelled birds after the finale of the Firebird - 

Rain beat against the windows when Jim Morrison sang poor Otis dead and gone

Russell put on a velvet jacket - Jay wanted some Miles Davis - 

Aldo Ciccolini played Three pieces in the form of a pear in a beautiful disordered room - 

I walked hand in hand with Maureen, down by the heartless sea - 

The moon sailed over the raffish town - 

Steve Harley sang come up and see me, make me smile - 

I danced with Richard to wild Rai music - 

Beverley played me Carole King - she counted the beats of my heart - I breathed in the scent of her dark tangled hair - 

I stood by the juke box with Frances - it was playing Road Runner - 

Frances wore a crown of words - got the radio on she sang - 

I lay upon the warm summer earth next to Anne - 

We'd listened the night before to The Band, to The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - 

Gazing up at the cloudless sky, I thought I was the king of all the world - 

The moment was written into my heart - 

I was dizzy with love, breathless with desire - 


19.39
Thursday 14 January 2016

The Old School House
East Stoke
Dorset 






No comments:

Post a Comment