Sunday 9 August 2015

Up here it can be wild ...








I'd seen the Eilden Hills from my attic window in The Old Grocery - 

Now I stood with Martin on Eilden Mid Hill, high above the ancient town - 

We spoke to a lean walker upon the summit - my heart was pounding from the climb - a cold wind blew over the borderland - dark clouds shrouded bare hill tops - valleys were rich quilts of fields -   

Did you see the lightning last night? the walker asked - I was in Galashiels - I wouldn't have liked to have been up here on the hills last night

He pointed eastwards - on a clear day you can see the coast he said - 

Martin lifted up his binocculars - 

Far below us, Alyson and Penelope rested amidst the heather - 

The walker's bare legs were brown and knotted - 

Up here it can be wild he said - 


Thursday 2 July 2015

Eilden Mid Hill 
Eilden Hills 
Scotland 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment