Tuesday 4 August 2015

Breakfast in Dunfermline House ...



left The Old Grocery for Dunfermline House revived by a cafetière of Quinchia - 

I'd slept deeply after nightcaps of Rioja, cocooned in dreams, waking once to hear thunder - the bed had moved beneath me, like a raft under a dazed mariner - 

I threw off my duvet around seven in the morning - I remembered dreadful dawns in bedsits, times of penury and wonder - 

I showered in the elegant bathroom, washing my shock of white hair - 

I was sorry to say goodbye to Malcolm and Angie - I hoped we would meet again -

In Dunfermline House, I ate a full Scottish - 

There was no sign of the silent daughter - 

Outside the house, before we started our journey, I took a photograph of my companions - 

Martin had decided to grow a beard - later he would say - call me Martin Martinson

Alyson and Penelope smiled their gentle smiles - 

The way lay before us, pilgrim's step by pilgrim's step - 

09.00
Thursday 2 July 2015

Outside Dunfermline House
Melrose 

No comments:

Post a Comment