Wednesday 8 April 2015

Swimming at El Medano ...




I threw my clothes upon the dark sand to swim in the turquoise sea - I left my watch inside one of my canvas shoes - 

Once in the water, my body roped with foam, I felt the pale years slide off me, scales washed away by the joyous waves - 

I remembered learning to swim, an artless boy, off the rocky shore of Malta - I would swim underwater, jewels of air spilling from my mouth - 

My skin was then unmarked, my blood innocent of treachery - my eyes were open to marvels - 

I watched the sails of the kite surfers zig zagging through the bright salty air - 

After my swim, I lay upon the warm sand, my heart dancing inside my chest - 

Anne then walked into the sea - she swam away from the shore with bold movements of her legs and arms - 

On the wooden walkways above the beach, wild girls sold jewellery - 

I heard the ancient sound of the sea - the sun soon dried my body - there was still salt in my hair - 


15.30
Sunday 29 March 2015

El Medano Beach
Tenerife 




No comments:

Post a Comment