Friday 12 August 2016

Following the fortunes of The Blues ...




Waiting for my mum to finish taking her evening tablets, I picked up the Portsmouth  Evening News - 

I remembered delivering them as a paper boy - 

I knew the colour of every door in Bramber Road, the shape of each TV aerial against the sky - 

I turned to the sports pages, to follow the fortunes of The Blues

They'd lost another game - 

My dad had never liked football - 

I liked the dogs he'd told me - 

He took the tickets at the turnstiles - he'd had fivers stuffed in his pockets - 

My mum put down her glass - she'd taken all her tablets - 

My dad sat in his chair, reading To Have and to Have Not

The small garden was filled with sunlight - 


17.00
Wednesday 10 August 2015

Staunton Road
Havant 


No comments:

Post a Comment