Saturday 2 August 2014

Cuddys Crags, sinister dexter ...



We left Housesteads by mid afternoon, making for Saughy Rigg - 

The vague sadness I'd felt earlier slipped away - 

Alyson and Julia marched along, chanting Sinister dexter - they were like splendid girls in a story by Angela Brazil, I thought - soon they would save their school, or thwart some spies - 

We passed through a corridor of oak trees - dark green leaves rustled above our heads - I walked there, in gentle shadow, upon the Wall -  

For too brief a time, I was aware of the slow griefs of stone, the sound of centuries passing - I heard their thin whispers - 

The trail took us upward, onto Cuddy's Crags and into bright sunshine - 

Penny saw a sky lark - her wise gaze swept over the sky - we all heard the tender song -


July 9 2014 

Cuddy's Crags





No comments:

Post a Comment