Saturday 5 July 2014

The attic room in Tynemouth ...


I arrived at Number 61, Front Street, rainswept and wide eyed - I could see the North Sea and the mouth of the Tyne - there was a shattered priory upon a headland - two Northumbrian kings and a Scottish King were buried there - 

My attic room gave me a view of the sea - rain water glistened upon slate roofs - there were two cellars beneath this ancient stone house -

Soon after my walking companions had arrived, there'd been a power cut - bravos gathered outside the Art Bar - inside the bar, there were bold paintings upon the walls - ceiling fans whirled - I thought - Richard would like this place  

We went back into Newcastle to eat - there were skinny boys in hoodies on the Metro - 

Penny and Julia had gone to Newcastle University, Alyson to Edinburgh - they swopped precious stories - 

On our return to Tynemouth, we walked towards the sea - it was dark, the moon hidden by clouds - small boats were drawn up upon the beach - we could see the lights of South Shields - 

20.30
July 4 2014

Tynemouth 


No comments:

Post a Comment